Winter is upon us in Des Moines, IA, which is why you should make sure your car is conditioned to handle winter's harsh conditions. Furthermore, you should be prepared just in case there's an emergency. Here's a simple winter automotive maintenance checklist to help you prepare for the cold ahead.
- Get an Oil Change - We usually forget the importance of oil, but the fall or early winter is the perfect time to ensure you've got fresh oil to protect your engine and keep it stable.
- Check Your Battery - The summer heat can take a severe hit on car batteries, and unfortunately, drivers aren't unaware until cold weather strikes. We recommend that you have your battery tested and replaced (if necessary). Your battery will have to work harder during the winter months, so it's essential to check on it throughout the season.
- Inspect Your Tires - Take a good look at your tire tread and measure it just in case you need to replace them. If your tires don't have enough depth, they won't grip the road properly. Depending on the average snowfall where you reside, you may also want to consider the convenience of winter tires.
- Ensure Maximum Visibility - Now that the sun sets before 5 pm, you need to ensure you can see clearly on your commute in the evenings. If any of your lights look dim or yellow, please clean the lens and replace the bulbs if necessary. It's also vital that your windshield wipers are in working condition so that you can see the road in rainy or snowy conditions.
- Check Your Antifreeze - Coolant (a mixture of antifreeze and water) is one of the most critical fluids when it comes to attending to your vehicle in the winter. Antifreeze uses either ethylene or propylene glycol to stop the water in your cooling system from icing. You can bring your car to a trusted mechanic, like Richman Automotive & Towing, to double-check that it won't freeze.
If you want to make sure you don't get into an emergency this winter, please call or visit the professionals at Richman Automotive & Towing. We've been helping drivers with their auto services in Des Moines, IA, since 1985, and we're always here for you!